How To Dye A Wig For Beginner?
One of the best things about ordering wigs is their versatility. Wearing wigs has grown in popularity because people have the desire to change their hairstyles as a way to reflect their own individuality. Someone would dye or restyle their wig when they get a wig. The reason is to alter hair to create a specific look and they want to have more options. In contrast, the cost of dyeing a wig is cheaper than you buying a colored wig directly. But it’s difficult to reshaped the wigs for beginner. This blog will revolve around how to dye wigs at home.
How to choose dye color?
It’s essential to chosse the right color before you dyeing your wig. If your wig is black, it’s not a good idea to go pastel pink. In order to achieve drastic color changes, you will need to pre-lighten the hair. This leads to a higher probability of hair damage. Second, you should consider your own skin complexion. Your results may not look good if the new color clashes with your skin tone. Use the following tips to decide which hair dye shades might work best for you based on your skin tone:
Warm skin undertones: For skin with warm yellow or gold undertones, shades like platinum blonde, honey blonde, and chocolate all work very well.
Cool skin undertones: For skin has cool bluish or pinkish undertones, shades like golden brown, amber, and brown-black are a great complement.
Neutral skin undertones: For skin with neutral undertones, go for reds, blue-black, or dark brown.
By the way, different colors represent different personalities. You can dye a color just based on your personality.
Blue: Calm, Peaceful, Content
Red: Bold, Passionate, Confident
Yellow: Energized, Cheerful
Pink：Flirty, Happy, Romantic
Black: Fierce, Confident, Grounded, Strong.
Ultimately, the color you choose is totally up to you, and experimenting with vibrant, out-of-the-box colors is always fun. So, if you want to try a color that’s not universally considered a good fit for your skin tone, it’s not the end of the world. You may find that you absolutely love the way it turns out.
Tools you will need:
- A wig you wanna dye;
- A mannequin head;
- Some T-pins;
- Plastic mixing bowl;
- Plastic spoon;
- Hair dye brush;
- Rubber gloves
Ok, next let’s jump into how to dye a wig!!
Step of dyeing wig:
1. Wash and dry your wig to remove any styling products. Do not hold too much force when shampooing and do not apply conditioner or styling product to the wig before coloring.
2. Protect the lace. If you don’t want to stain the wig’s lace, you have a couple of protective options to choose from. No matter what type of dye you use, you don’t want to skip this step. There are two ways you can use:
- Vaseline- Flip your wig over the mannequin head and secure the top with T-pins. Apply a thin coat of Vaseline to the lace and press in. Do not apply Vaseline to the fabric of the wig.
- Spray and Gel - Flip your wig over, spray the styling gel all over the lace until it is completely covered, blow dry with cool air or let it sit overnight to ensure it is 100% dry. Don't forget to seal the dry gel with a freeze spray and dry.
3. Comb your wig and make sure there are no knots on your wig. It’s essential to kick things off with a smooth and tangle-free wig.
4.Officially started to dye the hair. you have two options:
- Dye your wig directly. Don your disposable gloves to reduce the direct contact between the hair dye and the skin and mix the hair dye in the bowl according to package directions. Use the hair color brush to apply the hair dye to the human hair wig gently until all strands of hair are thoroughly covered. During the process, keep the dye away from the hair knots at the base of the wig as well as the wig's cap.
- Watercolor hair dye. Put on a pair of gloves to protect your hands from the watercolor hair dye. Then put the semi-permanent watercolor hair dye into the hot water. As we know hot water can dissolve the hair dye better than cold water. Use a whisk or a metal spoon to mix the color evenly into the water. It will help ensure that your watercolor wig has no uneven patches of color. If you prefer a bolder hue, you can add more hair dye to the mixture. Put the wig into the hair dye water. Place your wig in the basin to submerge it in the mixture. Use a whisk or spoon to stir the lace-front wig in the color bath to coat the hair.
5. Let it sit for a while. After the hair dye has covered the hair, let the wig rest for 10-20 minutes for a better dyeing effect. Or you can follow the instructions on the manual. Don't think that the longer the hair dye stays in the hair, the more color it will be! It is a wrong opinion. For watercolor hair dye, When the time is up, put the wig on top of the basin and squeeze out the excess water to check that you have reached the color you want. If not, return the wig to the water for another 5 minutes or so. Once you get the color you want, go to the next step.
6. Wash it. Rinse with warm water until the water runs clear. Then apply conditioner according to the instructions. If you wig is made of human hair, I would suggest a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner would be better. Try to use the sulfate-free shampoo because it is the perfect match for color-treated hair since it provides deep nourishment.
7. Dry your wig. After rinsing out the conditioner completely, towel dry your hair. Then place the wig on the mannequin head and let it dry or blow dry according to your preference.
This whole process may take 30-60 minutes, depending on whether you have done it before. If you haven't done it, practice on an old wig. If you feel that you can't understand the hair dyeing steps, you can search for some hair dyeing video tutorials and follow along.
Recommend of Coleen colorful wig:
If you think dye a wig is too troublesome, of course you can buy colored hair directly. If you don't know what hair color to buy, here are some Coleen high-quality hair color recommendations for your reference.
Coleen 613 Blonde Body Wave Wig - Classic hair texture and shining blonde color. Never goes out and this color absolutely could be dyed other colors easily. 100% human hair. Tangle-free and shedding-free. Best opiton for you choose a colored wig.
Coleen Highlights Curly Bob Wig With Bangs - We all know bob wig is a best option for Summer. Bob wig not only is light and soft, it's easy to install and manage. But also the price is cheap. It's affordable completely. Highlights look is a hot trend. This highlights wig would gives you a different vibe.
Coleen Burgundy Flowy Bohemian Wig - Bohemian curly wig is a new hair texture. Bohemian human curly wig is relaxed, flowy,chic, romantic and holiday mood. The “boho chic wig" will be one to hold on to. It is perfect for a slouchy barefoot beach walk or paired with slides and a floral printed dress to add a touch of mystery to your sun-drenched afternoon picnic. Burgundy color is also popular!!
Skunk Stripe Honey Blonde Body Wave Wig - Natural black color with honey blonde #27 color lace front wig cut from one donor,Simple enough for anyone to try out but unique enough for anyone to stand out in,skunk stripes should be your next emotional haircut.The skunk stripe is the next generation of chunky highlights,a popular hair trend and new trendy color style you must have.
FAQ about dyeing a wig
Do I need bleacd the wig before the dye a wig?
If you're going to be dyeing a dark color wig a bright or vibrant color, you MUST bleach the hair before to ensure the best results. But if you purchase a color like 613, a light platinum blonde color, so that you can skip the bleaching step.
Can I dye a synthetic wig?
Yes, you can. But synthetic hair must be dyed by dyes made for fabrics. As the fibers of the synthetic wig are not penetrable like natural fibers, you can’t do it using the regular dyes.
Can I dye my wig frequently?
No. Don’t dye your wig frequently even you are good at dyeing. Dyeing your wig can cause irreversible damage and decrease your wigs lifespan even it’s just one time. You’d better dye a wig once every 3 months.